Become part of an enthusiastic community that shares your passion. Volunteers are critical in all parts of the Open Space Mountain Parks Department. Visit www.volunteerosmp.org today!
Dream it! Build it! Love it! We need your help in spreading the message of stewardship. Does your skill set include outdoor photography and outreach messaging? Do you have a keen eye for those special moments that share inspiration? We are seeking help from an experienced and reliable volunteer who can capture photographic images during volunteer project events to help support future media and messaging. Come join us as we support the legacy of OSMP!
Join the City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks Trail Guide Program!
Trail Guides have been traveling OSMP trails for more than 25 years, enhancing visitor experiences and promoting sustainable land stewardship practices. Trail Guides educate the public on wilderness safety, cultural history, natural resources, recreation opportunities and more! As a volunteer trail guide, you will assist visitors in need and serve as extra eyes and ears on the OSMP system, collaborating with OSMP staff and rangers to keep the public up-to-date on seasonal closures, safety ordinances (including dog regulations) and other general trail and recreation information.
- Work in a variety of terrain and weather conditions with people of diverse backgrounds
- Greet and assist visitors within your training scope
- Observe area conditions and report to staff
- Contact emergency services (fire, medical, law) when appropriate
- Educate the public on natural and cultural history of OSMP lands
- Abide by all OSMP rules and regulations and set an example for others
- Are comfortable wearing a uniform and name tag and assisting visitors in need
- Fulfill reporting requirements based on observations and contacts
- Experience and comfort with public interactions
- Familiarity with City of Boulder Open Space & Mountain Parks trails and facilities
- Interest in natural and cultural history of the area
- Able to respond appropriately to emergency situations within your level of training
- Reliable transportation to trails
* Welcomed: First Aid/CPR; multi-lingual; and all levels of physical ability.
Trail Guides serve flexible self-scheduled hours. They complete 2 to 4 hikes per month for 1 year, with an option to renew upon successfully fulfilling service. Annual update meeting is usually scheduled in the Fall with other optional trainings offered throughout the year. Applications accepted until program is full.
- Gain experience in natural resource management
- Help protect OSMP land for future generations
- Receive hands-on training with OSMP Staff and Rangers
- Promote your own wellness and enjoy our wild spaces!